Have you read about those intense workouts that are popular because they produce great results in just 10 minutes a day? Granted, those 10 minutes are pain-filled, but effective if you keep up with them and exercise every day.
If your search engine rankings also seem kind of stagnant and your SEO campaign is out of shape, your website might benefit from just such a quick daily workout – and these 5 quick SEO fixes are much less painful than doing 50 squats:
- 1. Find out if you have duplicate page titles or duplicate content. You can use Google Webmaster Tools to find out if you have multiple pages with the same title. If you do, you can take a few minutes to write unique titles for these pages or change them to include more relevant keywords or search terms.
- 2. Make sure your frequently linked pages are where they are supposed to be. Use Open Site Explorer to find out which of your most linked-to pages has since been moved or deleted from the server, and you can then redirect that URL to the content.
- 3. Check your site navigation and bread crumb trails for duplicate content links. Make sure you don’t have the home page content in two places, for example – which sometimes happens when you have an /index.html. Redirect those links to the absolute page, and many of your duplicate content problems will be resolved.
- 4. Find the pages with the worst clickthrough rates and revise them. You probably have some underperforming landing pages that just need a little help. Google Analytics can give you the data you need to do this step. Just go to Traffic Sources > Search Engine Optimization > Landing Pages, and see which pages have the lowest clickthrough rates. You can then revise those pages’ meta descriptions and titles to something that users are more likely to click on.
- 5. Check your Local listings with Google and Bing. Local search has been steadily growing in importance, so be sure your website is positioned to benefit from it. So if you have a local presence, make sure you’re taking advantage of the local profiles at Google and Bing. Ensure that your phone number and address are correct and that it’s obvious that your company has claimed its local listing, which in turn shows that you care about how your external profiles look.
There are many more ways to make quick fixes on your website that add up to a big difference, but these five tips are a great place to start. Also, be sure that you’re keeping your blog supplied with fresh content – that’s a strategy that informs your readers, impresses the search engines and builds your reputation as an industry thought leader.
Effective SEO techniques don’t have to be a show-stopping project that consumes all your time and energy, but it does help to be consistent – and doing a little each day can go a long way.