Is there anything you should do differently to optimize your website for higher search engine rankings during the holidays? Yes – and you probably should have started doing so already, considering that Black Friday is inching backwards more every year and will soon be the day after Halloween! But it’s never too late to do some SEO fixes that can help your ecommerce website attract more holiday shoppers.
Use these five SEO tips to bring people to your homepage for the holidays:
- Tweak product page titles and optimize content: Make sure they are as descriptive and readable as possible, and that the content answers any questions the visitor may have about the product. This is a great way to work your most relevant and competitive keywords into the page while pointing out the benefits of your products.
- Don’t forget to give product photos and videos the SEO treatment: Make sure those media files have keywords in the filenames and alt tags. That can be a quick way to get a leg up on your competitors this holiday season, since product videos and images are often under-optimized – but frequently viewed by curious consumers. And if you don’t have a video, make one! It can be about reviews of new products or product assembly and use. Youtube is a tremendous resource for consumers seeking product info, so use it to your advantage.
- Deck the halls…with seasonal categories, internal links and holiday sales pages: If you have a special holiday promotion going on at your ecommerce site, optimize your site to reflect that. Create a “Gift Ideas” category, for example, so holiday sales items don’t take too many clicks to find. Link to holiday-specific content right from your home page.
- Don’t neglect your blog at holiday time: Even during the hectic holiday season, it pays to keep up with your blogging schedule. Write about holiday sales and promotions and link to them. And if you offer free shipping – a major draw for customers, since many of them search for it and make spending decisions based on the shipping cost – be sure to mention that not only on your blog, but on every product page.
- Do a little content marketing along with your SEO: Doing a stint as a guest blogger on a related site or writing and releasing a press release with helpful links to your site can give you the gift of a nice little SEO boost. Just make sure what you write is relevant, informative and keyword-rich.
These SEO tips for the holiday shopping season aren’t too time-consuming, and the gift of higher search engine rankings is well worth the extra effort.